Tuesday 18 November 2008



Marjorie Ferguson (1980) identified four types of facial expression in the cover photos of British women's magazines - Chocolate Box, Invitational, Super0smiler and Romantic or sexual. The one I chose was invitational: emphasis on the eyes (or the glasses in my case), mouth shut or with only a hint of a smile, head to one side or looking back to the camera. Projected mood: suggestive of mischief or mystery, the hint of contact potential rather than sexual promise, the cover equivalent of advertising's soft sell.

I chose this pose because I think it is inviting and puts a light mood on my magazine. My model is only smiling a little which suggests cheekyness, yet is still a cool pose. His hand gesture suggests he is a "gangsta" which relates to the type of music my magazine is about; urban and house.

No comments: